Monday, April 27, 2009

Relevance and Infection, Part 3

So, what made Jesus relevant? He did the Father's will; He loved and trusted His Father, even to the point of death on a cross. Jesus gave His life for the world and made Himself of NO reputation. Jesus wasn't called to be "cool" or "hip" - He was called to do the Father's will, no matter the cost. "As the Father has sent me, I am sending you" (John 20:21).

Jesus said that He would build His Church and that the gates of Hell will not prevail against it. If Hell can't beat you, that's pretty relevant in my book. But there's still the problem of our unbelief.

I said in an earlier post that we have been infected with the spirit or mindset of the age. What we (who call ourselves "believers") need is to be infected with the Gospel. I'm not talking about evangelism (though that is part of it) - I'm talking about being "possessed" by Jesus willingly. Carrying our cross gladly and without complaint; not pointing the finger or demanding our rights; giving ourselves for the life of the world. We love comfort and the esteem of men more than we love God and our neighbors. We cry "Lord, lord", but do we do what He asks? Or do we pick and choose our tasks from Him based on "respectability" and propriety? In truth, we are unbelieving "believers".

I sincerely don't mean to sound harsh, self-righteous, or condemning. God knows that I include myself in these indictments. And I praise God that He is patient and merciful. But is that how we want our children to live? Do I want my two beloved sons to live weak, miserable, disobedient lives, simply comforting themselves with thoughts of how patient I am? NO! I want them to LIVE FULLY! I want them to enjoy ALL that I can give them. "If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him" (Matt. 7:11)! My desire is to live the Gospel and let Jesus determine my relevance.

To whom it may concern, LIVE THE GOSPEL! Don't just be a "Christian" with cool T-shirts and funny bumper stickers - be a follower of Jesus and be conformed to His image. Do the stuff that He did (and still does)! Let's give up all and follow Him. May His Gospel and Life fully infect us with His likeness! Then we will be relevant.

No comments: