Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Real Truth And False Truth

"If you continue in my teaching, you are really my disciples. Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free" (John 8:31-32, NIV).

"It's never the nature of an activity that determines whether it is holy or not; it's the source of the activity" - Major W. Ian Thomas.

Last year in January, I was reading numerous books by some folks who centered most of their teaching around a particular "truth" or belief. And while I gleaned some stuff that was helpful, the foundational "truth" that they espoused was false and damaging to many.

Recently online, I shared my experience with a brother in the Lord who also has been reading some of the same stuff. I'm not sure whether he accepted my testimony or not, but I trust and pray that the Lord will keep him on safe ground. But, in recalling that part of my journey, I've noticed something about myself during that time that I think may be helpful to share.

While reading the books I referred to above, the foundational belief they shared, when considered, actually felt good and seemed right. When I say "felt good", I'm not necessarily speaking of feelings, although that was certainly part of it. I think it had something to do with the idea of being released from all responsibility for my choices and actions. Nonetheless, I found myself kind of hoping that it was true. I found out otherwise, thank God.

In the scripture quoted above, Jesus said that the truth will set you free. The question for us today is: Which truth? The one that makes me feel good or happy? The one that I so desperately want to be true? Jesus is pretty clear about which truth: "If you hold to my teaching...then you will know the truth." If a particular belief or so called "truth" isn't consistent with the whole of scripture, and especially the teachings of Christ, then it's not a truth that will set you free. And if it doesn't set you free, it's a false truth, and instead, it binds you up. Too many believers are bound up by "truths" that make them happy or make them feel good, and Jesus wants to liberate them with real truth, truth that sets free. "If the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed" (v. 36). Instead of the word "indeed", my sons would say, "for real!" If the Son sets you free, you will be free for real!

So, how do you know real truth from false truth? The teachings of Jesus will reveal your need for Jesus (John 15:4-7); they will bring about the character of Jesus (Matt. 10:24-25; 1 John 2:6); and will never render you unaccountable for your choices and actions (Romans 6; John 14:23-24; Gal. 5:13; Rev. 22:12). These are just a few characteristics of real truth, but I trust that these are enough.

John Wimber said, "If I'm going to be a follower of Christ, then I must teach what Jesus taught and believe what Jesus believes."

May we never be believers who only seek comfort, happiness, and "feel good" Christianity. May we be followers of Jesus and be fully conformed into His likeness all our days. Amen.

No comments: