Thursday, April 23, 2009

Choices Along The Way

I have a tendency to approach choices in the Kingdom of God as being "either/or" decisions. But over the years, I've come to see that many of the choices are "both/and". "You either love Him or you don't" is the way I used to think; the truth is "I love Him and I don't". That's closer to the truth. A man with a demonized son brought him to Jesus, saying, "Lord, I believe; help my unbelief." Like myself (and I would think, like many of us), he was an unbelieving believer. The Good News is that as we walk in continual repentance and believe the Good News, the belief starts to outweigh the unbelief (it's actually our choice to believe that helps our unbelief). Thank you, Jesus! It's You that does the work in us: "The work of God is this: that you believe in the one he has sent" (John 6:29); and "May the God of Peace...equip you with everything good for doing his will, and may he work in us what is pleasing to him, through Jesus Christ" (Heb. 13:20-21).

No comments: