Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Losing and Living

"If any of you wants to be my follower, you must put aside your selfish ambition, shoulder your cross daily, and follow me. If you try to keep your life for yourself, you will lose it. But if you give up your life for me, you will find true life. And how do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose or forfeit your own soul in the process?" (Luke 9:23-25, New Living Translation).

When I read these words of Jesus and simply let them say what they say, I find myself once again repenting of "my christianity" and the christianity of pop culture and prosperity gospels. I find that I have settled for another gospel, one that cost me nothing in terms of giving up my life. In short, it is a cross-less christianity, which is really not Christianity at all. Much less, good news.

Jesus, give me your gospel, which really is good news; and give me the cross daily that I might really know true life.

No comments: