Monday, May 4, 2009

Results, Righteousness and Revelation

In Matthew 3:13-17, Jesus shows up at the Jordan asking John to baptize Him. John tried to deter Him and said that he needed to be baptized by Jesus. Jesus replied, "Let it be so now; it is proper for us to fulfill all righteousness." So, John went ahead and did it. But, I'm with John: Jesus didn't need to be baptized, did He? No, He was sinless. Then, why bother?

I believe it's because sometimes, in following Christ, there are things that we will be asked to do, not because it's necessary, but simply because it "fulfills all righteousness". I have such an ingrained tendency to want to know that obedience will bring about a certain result. In fact, in our culture, and sadly, in American Christianity, we are taught to look at and for results. We evaluate whether to pursue an action based on the results it will bring. Unfortunately, we also bring this mind-set to the Kingdom. But, what if Jesus wants us to do something that isn't necessary? What if it's just something He wants us to do "just because"?

One time, my father exploded on me at work. It was unjustified and it made me mad as hell. So, I shouted something back at him. I went to another area of the job we were on and the Lord spoke to me. He said, "I want you to go ask him to forgive you." Well, I didn't like this at all and I told the Lord so. "He should apologize to me and ask my forgiveness," I exclaimed at the Lord. For several minutes, I didn't say or do anything except clean paint brushes. I began to think about how much I wanted my dad to get saved and yield to Christ. So, I said to the Lord, "Alright. I'll do it for this reason" (thinking that my reasoning was from the Lord). I was shocked when the Lord shot back: "It's not about your dad getting saved - it's about obedience." I realized then that I was missing the point. The point wasn't the outcome of my obedience; the point was my obedience.

Do I trust the Lord enough to where the outcome doesn't matter? Do I obey because I'm seeking a certain result - or simply because it's Him that asks of me? Is He worthy of my obedience even when it produces no visible, tangible fruit? It was after John's obedience in this instance that heaven opened and the Father revealed His Son to John as the promised Messiah (John 1:32-34). Sometimes, obedience simply reveals the presence of Jesus.

No comments: