Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Jesus and Temptation Part 3

Matthew 4:8-11

Satan offered the world to Jesus in exchange for his worship.

How often have I accepted the same offer? In what areas of my life right now do I accept his offer?

After Jesus refused Satan's offer, the devil left and angels came and ministered to him.

Two things: 1) When I refuse the devil and his offers, he flees (James 4:7); and 2) When I refuse him and his offers, angels come and attend to me.

If the devil isn't fleeing, it doesn't mean he won't; it simply means that the temptation isn't finished yet. He tempted Jesus with three different ideas or challenges; then he left. But notice this: he left after Jesus told him to. Though Jesus never tempts us, he allows it - but he's in control of the devil and the temptation the whole time.

Perhaps, we don't experience the ministry of angels in this way because we don't stay in the battle. Or maybe, it's because we don't refuse the enemy.

May the Holy Spirit teach us how to stand in the battle.

No comments: