Saturday, December 27, 2008

Small Things Matter

Small things matter. How we respond to the small things determines how we respond to the big things.

The Song of Songs says, "Catch the little foxes".

Jesus said, "He who is faithful with little will be faithful with much".

"If you mind your pennies, your dollars will take care of themselves."

But, what are the small things? Well, for me, it's a small thing to wash the dishes for my wife. It's a small thing to spend some time playing with my sons. And yet, these are the things that I often feel like are interruptions to the more important things, like watching a movie, reading the bible, or praying.

Henri Nouwen once said, "I used to get upset and frustrated at interruptions to my work; then, one day, I realized that the interruptions were my work."

Thank you, Lord. Forgive me for refusing the small things, for not seeing your divine provision and will therein. Make me like you...a Lover obsessed with the small things.

1 comment:

canonglenn said...

Small things do matter: small things like writing on your blog. I am adding you to my blog roll. So, you need to keep writing or else. If you don't keep it up, I will be sending my Sicilian cousins, Guido and Luigi, to your home for a little visit.