Monday, June 22, 2009

The Beatitudes 2

Matthew 5:3

Jesus says those who mourn will be comforted. Those who mourn what? I believe this refers back to the first beatitude: the poor in spirit. Blessed are those who mourn their spiritual poverty. They see their sin, their sinfulness, their need - and it brings them to tears, weeping, and groaning. They will be comforted.

The word used is for "comfort" is a form of the same word used for "comforter", i.e., the Holy Spirit (John 14:16). Those who mourn their sin, their poverty, their need, will be comforted by the Holy Spirit and their needs will be met therein. Whatever the need, Christ answers with the Holy Spirit. And we are comforted because our sin doesn't disqualify us. Instead, the very need itself qualifies us for the comfort and the supply by the Holy Spirit.

Do I mourn my sin? Do I mourn my need? Do I let the Comforter comfort me and free me from my poverty? Or do I embrace my sin and nurture selfishness and/or self-pity?


No comments: